Friday, July 16, 2010

Baci di Dama (aka Ladies’ Kisses)

nut_butter 043

These little cookies are decadent. Very buttery, perfectly crisp, not too sweet. The almond and chocolate flavors were beautifully balanced and delicious. I used my ancient garage-sale cookie press to form them so they were together in no time at all too.

Adapted from Joyce Goldstein’s cookbook Back to Square One. Oh my goodness – you can pick up a used copy via Amazon for $0.63 USD – that’s the deal of the century. I’d never part with mine. What is the world coming to?? But I digress...

12 Tbsp unsalted butter (yeah, it’s a lot of butter)
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
1/4 cup almond butter
1 1/4 cup (about 6 oz by weight) flour
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp Amaretto (optional - I used it, but will probably skip it next time)
1 1/2 oz 85% dark chocolate

Beat the butter and sugar in a mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolk, flavorings, and almond butter. Mix in the flour.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Line 2 baking trays with parchment paper. Using a cookie press or piping bag if you’re more talented than me, pipe the dough onto the trays. Bake until very lightly browned, 8-10 minutes. Transfer to a rack and cool.

cookies

 

cookies1

 

Melt the chocolate – I used the microwave, though a double-boiler works great too. I also only melted half the chocolate, since it cools rapidly here in foggy San Francisco, then the other half later when I needed it.

cookie_choc

Brush a thin layer of chocolate over the bottom of one cookie, then press another cookie to form a little sandwich. Repeat until all the cookies are paired.

cookies2

1 comment:

  1. They are gorgeous! In an attempt to do another dish out of my almond butter leftover i thought of making macarons, thought i'd bit the very "temperamental" cookie but as expected it turned into a flat crispy goodness cookie, so i called it Almond cookies=;)I still have some left over almond butter, this will be good. Thanks for the share.

    ReplyDelete